Monday, October 11, 2004

Thanksgiving

What a Thanksgiving week-end it was. I awoke early on Monday morning and as I sat meditating on the porch at my Brother-in-law Davids place, I took the time to reflect on the many things I have to be thankful for.
I was thankful for the love that David expressed to me in his own special way. Knowing of my love of nature, he took me to Point Pelee on Saturday and I had the signal honour of setting foot at the southern most tip of the Canadian mainland. It was just the two of us, spending the day together, whilst our wives toiled away at the dinner preparations. This was with their consent, since they both agreed that David and I needed to spend time together.
We had our dinner on Sunday and it was a beautiful evening. My sister-in-law, Bonnie and her husband Larry were there, as were my brother-in-laws daughter, Kim, her husband Mauro and their children, Tony, Elizabeth and Joey.
The glue that held us all together, the person most responsible for the evening was my soul-sister June.
June is an extra special person in my life, one of those rare people whom I took to immediately upon meeting her. She has a gift, this woman has, of welcoming people into her life and of expressing her love for them. She and I share a bond that is deeper than either of us realize.
Of course, I would not be at this very special family gathering, were it not for the love of my life, Deb.
It was an evening of love, gratitude and laughter ......much laughter.
Really, things of the spirit, that which stays with one, long after the event itself fades in time and distance.
We lit many candles that evening, candles which expressed our love of one another. That is all that really matters.

No comments: