Thursday, October 07, 2004

Humility

We were discussing humility last night. My take on it is based on my experiences.
When family members used to say, "A little humility might work for you", my reply almost consistently was ..........WHY? What do I have to be humble for or about?

With the benefit of hindsight and based on more recent experiences I can see how that attitude cost me dearly.

Practically nobody was attracted by a cocky, arrogant me, who, displaying the opposite of the Midas Touch, essentially drove people away from myself. Not only did I repel people, but also by extension I deprived myself of opportunities that would otherwise have come my way via people. You see I did not know the difference between humility and humiliation.

Today it is different. My practice of humility has allowed me to see the hand of my Higher Power at work in my daily life.
A humble attitude is easy to practice when I am down and in need of help.
The real challenge is to be humble when I am at the top of my game. When I am on top of the world. When kudos and compliments are flowing.

What are the results of this attitude of humility?
In my personal life people don't seem to mind being around me. In fact they seek me out. Family members who previously avoided me, now enjoy the time they spend with me and believe it or not, actually value my advice. I'm always the first to admit it when I am wrong, the first to apologize if an apology is merited. I never take myself so seriously anymore.

It has certainly worked in the business world, because I seem to attract people and opportunities to myself. I give credit where credit is due, promote people who deserve it, encourage those who do not merit promotion, all by practicing humility.
I always give credit to my team when praised or complimented.

I always use this line, internally, to myself, when the kudos and praise are flowing;
"Of myself I am nothing. The Father doeth the works".

No comments: